NETGEAR routers can easily be set up and configured in just a few minutes and after that, you would be good to go. The simplest and easiest way to set up your NETGEAR router is through the Nighthawk app.
Although you can also set up the router using the web interface. Both methods work just fine and you would be able to set up the router with either method.
Setting a NETGEAR Router using the Nighthawk app
To set up your router using the Nighthawk app, follow these steps:
- First, download and install the Nighthawk app from Apple App Store or Google Play Store on your mobile device.
- Once the app has been installed, connect your modem to your router by connecting an Ethernet cable on the internet port.
- Now, power ON your router.
- From your mobile device, connect to the default Wi-Fi network of the router. You can find the router’s WiFi network name (SSID) and network key (password) on the back or bottom of your router.
- Once connected to the Wi-Fi network, open the NETGEAR Nighthawk app and click on New System Setup.
- The app will now detect the router and you will be able to personalize the Wi-Fi Network.
- You will also be asked to set up two security questions in case you lose the login credentials.
- Wait while the router updates the settings. If you changed the SSID or password of the Wi-Fi network then you would have to connect to the new network.
- The app will now check if you are on the latest firmware. If there is an update available then update your router, otherwise, your router is setup.
Setting a NETGEAR Router using the web interface
Here is how you can set up your NETGEAR using the web interface:
- The first thing that you should do is connect your modem with a NETGEAR router using an Ethernet Cable.
- Now, connect your computer to your NETGEAR Router using an Ethernet cable,
- Power ON your NETGEAR router.
- Once the router starts and a connection is established between the router and computer, open a web browser and go to http://routerlogin.net or 192.168.1.1.
- You will be prompted to log in. Log in to the router using the username and password. (The default user name is admin and the default password is password.)
- Once logged in, go to Home > Advanced > Setup Wizard.
- Select Yes on the radio button and click on Next.
- The router will detect your internet connection and after it detects, you will be prompted to set a new admin password.
- Set a new admin password and also select and answer two security questions.
- After that, click on Next. Now, your NETGEAR router is successfully set up with your modem.
- If there is a firmware update available then click on Yes to update otherwise continue. Your NETGEAR router is set up.
After you have set up your router, you can manage your network, view devices connected to your network, share your WiFi password, run a speed test, and more through the Nighthawk or Orbi app.